Homeschool

Homeschooling took an extended break in our home. We were going to hit the ground running after 1st trimester morning sickness, but I lost River and struggled to get going again. My oldest is now back to working hard at 6th grade and trying to get through the review sections, so he can get to 7th grade. My 2nd son struggles with reading, so we are taking time to practice that while letting him practice real-life scenarios, like math skills are budgeting for meals, and cooking (measurements). He is in 2nd grade and zooming through all but reading. Mr. 5-year-old is in a mixture of Preschool and Kindergarten. He can recognize many letters but is not quite ready to read. He is a wild child and needs lots of breaks and playtime. My 2-year-old is in playschool. We talk about colors, play with blocks, sing songs, and just have fun, but he will not be ready for sit-down school for a while longer.

When I hear that parents don't feel they are equipped to homeschool it bothers me. I didn't feel equipped to homeschool my kids, but here I am, crushing it. I know some people are afraid they are going to mess up their kids if they teach them, but some curriculums teach your kids for you (Abeka and Bob Jones are 2), you just put them in front of a computer and they learn from actual teachers. I prefer teaching my kids, myself, but not everyone feels that way. Some curriculums cost a lot (Abeka), but there are free ones as well (Easy Peasy). We did not enjoy Easy Peasy, but it felt like busy work and not a full curriculum. We are using multiple curriculums to make a complete curriculum that works for us. 

If you ever have questions about homeschooling, I will happily help to the best of my ability. Also, if you have homeschooled a soon-to-be high schooler, what curriculums did you love? We don't love Masterbooks for Language, so we need to find a new one for that. We also need a good personal finance curriculum in the next couple of years.

Thanks <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not a happy update

Planning a vacation

The Hurt of a Wrong Name